Around 2009, I bought my first house, and it was in certainly rough condition.
I didn’t have big money to spend, so I located a fixer-upper that suited my budget.
In order to spend the money for renovations, I handled most of them myself. Since I had not done any remodeling before, I made some major mistakes. I didn’t measure the brand new windows properly, and they failed to fit into the frames. I didn’t accurately calculate the number of tiles I needed for the kitchen floor, so I ran out of them. One of the biggest problems occurred as I tore down the old plaster walls and ceilings. I bought myself a crowbar and actually enjoyed ripping down the substantial chunks of plaster. I took the walls down to the bare studs, so that could replace electric wires, inspect the plumbing pipes and insert insulation. Unfortunately, I was not careful and didn’t realize that there was also a duct system hidden with the walls and ceilings. I found themselves tearing down a whole component of the ductwork by mistake. I discovered that replacing ductwork is not something I am capable of. Because of that damage I caused, I could not operate the furnace or air conditioner anymore. I was forced to hire a professional HVAC contractor to change a section of the duct system. This turned into a much bigger expense than I had anticipated, and slowed my undertaking down considerably. In the close, it turned out to be good, because the HVAC contractor remarked that the ductwork was in really bad shape. He sealed the joints and the numerous holes in order that the HVAC system would operate more effectively and efficiently.